Star Wars: Heir to the Force
Faneditor Name: DigModiFicaTion
Tagline: The Saga Continues….
Original Movie Title: Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens
Genre: ActionAdventureScience Fiction
Franchise: Star Wars
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Release Date: 2015
Original Running Time: 136
Fanedit Release Date: May 2017
Fanedit Running Time: 127
Time Cut: 11
Time Added: 2
Awards: Favorite Edit of the Month Winner May/June 2017
The Dark Side of the Force has awakened. Risen from the ashes of the Empire, the First Order seeks to destroy the New Republic and once again shroud the galaxy in darkness. The mysterious Kylo Ren has extinguished the new Jedi order. Without the guidance of the Force, who will stand and resist against this growing threat?
Watch the story you’ve come to love in a brand new way with DigModiFicaTion’s edit, Heir to the Force. Featuring all new special effects, music, and mystery. Experience the awakening. (Extended reveal of Kylo Ren; Original OT Falcon turret sfx; TFA, EU & John Williams cues to enhance scenes; Holograms; A new ending).
Where other edits have changed the sequences surrounding Starkiller Base (Hal9000) or simply attempted to minimize over the top humor (ironman23), this edit leaves the key sequences in place, is more aggressive in it’s edits to remove silliness and extends Kylo Ren’s parentage reveal as well as gently addressing the issue of R2-D2 being asleep and Snoke’s non-Star Warsy looking hologram. This edit also removes the distraction of Luke from the end of the movie.
I remember enjoying this movie in the theaters when I first saw it, but felt that Abrams missed out on the opportunity to extend the mystery surrounding Kylo Ren. I remember being very disappointed when Kylo’s parentage was revealed so early and so casually in the film. The main intent of this edit was to prolong Kylo’s reveal, remove as much of the Rathtar sequence as possible, and remove Rey finding Luke from the end of the movie to mirror the ending of TESB. As the the edit progressed and feedback was given, the challenge to add a hologram effect to Snoke as well as the creation of a new crawl, title, and Falcon turret sfx.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Bonus Disc (Deleted Scene)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Soundtrack
Star Wars: A New Hope Soundtrack
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1&2 Soundtracks
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Trailers
War of the Worlds Soundtrack
Custom Crawl Creator
Soundboard & Game rip sfx (F11D-Blaster, Tie sfx,, Falcon turret, X-Wing sfx, etc.)
Anakin5kwalker, Canon Editor, DarthRush, Force Ghost Recon, Imperial Fighter, ironman23, Kexikus, LastImpressions, Moe_Syzlak, Original Trilogy Fan, revel911, risc19 (for supplying the hyperspace menu effect), RougeLeader, Smithers, ssj, That OT Ruler, thecuddlyninja, theryaney, ThrowgnCpr, TM2YC and Zarius.
Walt Disney and LucasFilms ltd and the fanedit.org and originaltrilogy.com communities.
Most of all to my family, who put up with me through this whole process.
Special thanks to Blake Armstrong of Spaceboy Comics for the use of his Amazing The Force Awakens poster art.
Find more of his work at http://www.spaceboycomics.com
Much of the brainstorming for this edit was done on forums.fanedit.org. After mapping out planned edits, lossless AVI and WAV files were made from the original source. The first draft of editing was done in linear manner and then offered as a preview. Further edits identified areas of concern or requested edits. Major tools used in the editing process included Vegas Platinum 13, GIMP, and Audacity.
Cuts and Additions:
- Added Custom Loading Screen and Menus (Blu Ray)
- Added New Fanedit.org title card based on current logo
- Added custom ROTJ style disclaimer
- Added A DigModiFicaTion Title card
- Added Custom Walt Disney th Century Fox title card with th Century Fox fanfare
- Replaced opening crawl music with opening crawl music from Episode IV
- Replaced crawl with custom “Heir to the Force” crawl
- Added stronger blaster noise after Stormtrooper yells “stop that x-wing!” to simulate a stronger barrage.
- Removed Poe’s “so who talks first…..” lines
- Added Force noise as Kylo stares at Poe (borrowed idea from ironman)
- Clipped Poe’s line as he is forcefully picked up, now it sounds like he was going to start saying something but the jolt of being hoisted up stops him.
- Replaced Video when Kylo Ren says “put him on board”; Video is a slightly cropped/zoomed shot where Kylo Ren is standing still vs the movement in the theatrical cut
- Removed Kylo Ren’s “comfortable?” line and Poe’s response during Poe’s interrogation scene
- Transition to next scene before Unkar Plott pulls down the window on his other customers
- Cut Poe and Finn’s conversation after Finn says “Because it’s the right thing to do”
- Removed Finn firing on and killing Stormtroopers and the traffic control room
- Cut Finn and Poe’s celebration after blowing up a turret and Scene of tie flying away from Star Destroyer.
- Cut “Nice to meet youNice to meet you Finn.”
- Cut Kylo Ren saying “FN-” (even for a Sith lord, that is unbelievable)
- Moved “Sir, ventral cannons hot” further up in the audio mix of the scene and cut the Star Trek-esque turret scene downNow they just fire
- Cut the tie fighter blowing up after sinking in the sand
- Added “Approaching Felucia” cue from The Force Unleashed to replace music cue when Finn walks through the desert (original cue used later during catwalk scene)
- Cut Finn’s “this is what we look like, some of us” lines
- Cut Rey’s “No” when responding to Finn’s “You ever fly this thing?” line
- Cut Finn and Rey’s “I can do this” lines when they first get into the Falcon
- Removed the Falcon taking a nose dive into the sand upon take off
- Cut Rey’s line “I’m going low”
- Replaced new Millennium Falcon turret sfx with OT turret sfx in chase scene
- Replaced audio of Finn cursing after the impact with a grunt (yes I know the originals had cursing, but this is just a personal preference)
- Cut scenes of scavengers when the first tie fighter is shot down
- Cut the JJ Abrams zoom when the Falcon flies into the downed Star Destroyer’s engines
- Cut Finn and Rey’s excessive teenage celebration after they make it to space
- Reworked scene in order to remove Kylo Ren’s tantrum when the officer reports on not getting the droid
- Cut Finn’s line “you got a boyfriend?”
- Added Red Gradient glow to mimic the overhead light and connect the edited scene visually
- Cut scene of Finn childishly pushing down on Rey’s head
- Cut down the Rathtar scene; Han and Chewie run down a corridor, they turn, Chewie is hit, Han blasts the raiders, Rey and Finn pop up from the hatch, Han shoots the door and yells “come on!”
- Cut mention of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon from Snoke’s dialogue
- Added hologram effect to Snoke
- Cut scene of Ren standing up after talking to Vader’s mask in order to use it later in film.
- Added Darth Vader breathing sfx when his mask is revealed after Ren talks to it.
- Cut down Chewie grabbing Finn and Finn saying “but that’s ok”
- Added lightsaber sfx and enhanced (echo & reverb) Vader lines “You are not a Jedi yet” and “You don’t know the power of the dark side” along with the Emperor’s laugh to Rey’s force vision
- Added SWTFUII “Terror on the Salvation” cue to Hux’s speech
- Changed Hue of Apocolypse now Tie Scene (color matched with sky to make it blue)
- Cut Han’s no look shot and use of Chewbacca’s crossbow and subsequent “I like this” line
- Rearranged the Arrival of the Resistance scenes to remove visuals of PoeRebuilt audio surround tracks to fit the changes.
- Added “Rathtars” cue and “Attack on the Car” cue from War of the Worlds to the scene where Han, Chewie, Finn, and Maz emerge from the castle ruinsThe War of the Worlds track plays during Finn’s lightsaber use.
- Cut the continuous pan of Poe’s X-Wing flying, now cuts to Rey right after Finn blasts the second Stormtrooper.
- Cut Han’s lines about seeing their son; he now says “I saw him, he was here”
- Cut Poe’s references to his jacket when talking to Finn
- Cut scenes with the nurse and Chewbacca
- Added R-D visually to the checking the map sequence; also added Artoo beeps and sad sounds; he is now seen, heard, active and present
- Cut scene where Artoo is uncovered by P and all dialogue about Artoo being asleep.
- Edited Han to say “I know everytime you think about Luke you’re reminded of him”
- Cut Leia’s lines about their son’s training, Snoke, and Han being able to help because he’s Ben’s father.
- Cut Kylo Ren’s “you’re my guest” line, now he just coldly stares at Rey
- Rearranged and repurposed shots of helmeted Kylo Ren and composited/combined others in order to have Ren MaskedShortened scene as well.
- Edited audio to simulate Ren’s helmeted voice.
- Added subtle audio of Vader breathing when Rey reveals that Kylo Ren is afraid and the connection is severed
- Repurposed and replaced shots (cropped and speed) during Snoke conversation as to have Kylo Ren hooded and masked.
- Added Hologram effect to Snoke
- Digitally painted hooded and masked Kylo Ren into the far shots when Hux is walking away….ugh….
- Removed Han’s “so it’s big” line
- Removed Han’s “there’s always a way to do that” line after asking how to blow it upRemoved Leia’s “Han’s right” line
- Removed Leia’s lines about bringing their son home; inserted shot of Han’s face when she would have been talking
- Horizontally flipped the scene where the stormtroopers are looking for Rey and everyone is obviously left handed
- Cut scene where Han asks Finn what his job was and their verbal altercation; it’s a gag to set up a later gag and slows down the movement of the narrative
- Cut Finn’s “you remember me” lines and scene with Phasma; took Han’s advice and brought it down ;Wink
- Cut Rey crawling into the space that soon will squash her; now she just begins to descend down the wall
- Cut Finn threatening to blow Phasma’s bucket off
- Reinstated the Kylo visits the Falcon deleted scene (cropped out timestamps) and added the “The Bombing Run” cue from the FYC version of the soundtrack.
- Cut Finn’s lines about not being ready and his head nod “what’s that” lines
- Horizontally flipped scene where x-wing crashes into the snow and Han, Fin, Rey, and Chewie run into the frame and stop(The next scene contradicts the placement of the characters)
- Added a combination of the cue Finn’s Trek and Finn and Poe Reunited from the FYC Star Wars TFA soundtrack along with the Han and Leia cue to the Catwalk scene
- Added The Force Unleashed (Infiltrating the Junk Temple) during Finn and Kylo Ren’s duel
- Removed the ground ripping apart separating Rey and Kylo Ren; superimposed same shot of Rey and Kylo Ren when Rey shuts down her light saber looking across ravine at Kylo RenNow the two cropped images meet removing the gaping hole.
- Cut first order officer going AWOL, the scene cuts to Hux and Snoke before the officer speaks
- Added hologram effect to Snoke
- Cropped video to exclude Chewbacca from the background when Leia walks towards Rey; we can imply that Chewbacca hugged her or whatever
- Leia’s hug with Rey stays; it’s easy to explain, Leia knows how much Han meant to her, “Han told me about the girl” (Rey) and she (Rey) needed that one person who understood to be there for her
- Used reversed shot to have Artoo awake, his eye is now active throughout the waking scene and the audio implies that he is getting excited as he finds the map information.
- Cut P’s line “R-D you’ve come back!” when approaching R; he now says “Come along you two” (taken from the Oscars speech)
- Edited P’s lines to say “Artoo may contain some much needed good news” instead of “Artoo D may…”
- Cut P’s line “how I’ve missed you”
- Cut scenes of Rey arriving on planet to find Luke; I used the force theme from the end of the movie to make the famous iris ending and fanfare occur right as the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace; also added various sound effects for the Millennium Falcon, crowd, and Chewbacca during takeoff.
- (The reason for this particular decision was to mirror the OT in how they endThe OT trilogy ended two ways, a victorious celebration (IV and VI) or an adventurous plan set in motion (V)Showing Luke at the end of the movie is like showing scenes of Han frozen in carbonite in the trunk of Slave IThe scene with Luke doesn’t really advance the story and it removes the sense of episodic closure the OT accomplished with each episodeWe know that there will be a Star Wars VIII, we know that Luke will be in it, we didn’t see Luke the entire movie, why not just wait? He was in the movie to sell the movieI’m already sold on the movie, so out he goes so that we can focus on Rey, Ren, and Fin.)
- Revised “edited by” credits to add Fanedited by DigModiFicaTion
- Added “A DigModiFicaTion” after “A Bad Robot Production”, Added Fanedit.org logo, DigModiFicaTion logo, and special thanks section to credits